Streetcar Weekly Update: November 18, 2013
For the week of November 18, 2013, the streetcar will continue installation of rail and proceed with track construction near Findlay Market. The Maintenance & Operations Facility site continues a two-week process of installing new sewers as backfilling nears completion. As part of the city’s construction contract, the project is also involved with repairing public utilities. Here’s what to expect:
- Concrete base work for the track will continue on Elm Street between 12th and Green streets.
- Rail installation will continue on Elm Street between 15th and Wade streets. Work will start on Elm between Wade and Green streets.
- Replacement of granite pavers will continue on Elm Street.
- Existing pavement removal will start on Elm Street near Green Street.
- Pier work for the building foundation will start at the Maintenance & Operations Facility. (Piers anchor deep into sturdy soil to support the weight of the building, making it structurally sound.)
- Backfilling for the Maintenance & Operations Facility will continue at Henry and Race streets.
PUBLIC UTILITY IMPROVEMENTS AS PART OF STREETCAR CONSTRUCTION:
- Water main installation will continue on Walnut Street near 8th Street. Work will start on Main Street near 4th Street.
- Installation of conduit (tubing for electrical wires) for traffic signals will continue on Race Street near Findlay Street. Work will start on 2nd Street near Main Street.
- New sewer installation will continue on Race Street near 13th Street. Work will start on Race near 14th Street.
- Storm sewer work will continue at the Maintenance & Operations Facility; and on Race Street near Findlay Street.
- Duke Energy will be doing underground gas work on Main Street between 4th and 5th streets; and on Race Street near Green and Elder streets.
- Duke will also do underground electrical work on 12th Street near Vine and Race streets.
- Telecom work will take place on Elm Street near Green Street; on Race Street near Green and Liberty streets; on Race near 14th and 15th streets; and on Race near 12th Street.
- Exploratory digging for utilities will continue on Walnut Street between 6th and 9th streets.